statetourney_banner

Under The Lights – Georgia State Represents at State Flag Football Tournament

Posted On November 23, 2015
Categories Fall 2015 News

The relentless rain and cold temperatures in Statesboro, Ga. could not stop the excitement at the 32nd Annual Georgia Peach Classic Flag Football Tournament, where the state’s top intramural flag football teams and officials competed for the opportunity to attend the NCS National Flag Football Tournament in January 2016. The tournament took place on November 6-8 at Georgia Southern University and, despite the dreary weather conditions, 36 men’s, women’s and co-rec teams faced off in a double elimination style tournament. The purpose of the event was to provide the best competition in the state for flag football teams, as well as contribute to the development and advancement of student officials.

Georgia State’s Recreational Services sent one men’s team, three student officials and two graduate assistants who were selected from a pool of candidates to serve on the tournament’s Officials Committee. After traveling three hours to the event, Georgia State’s men’s team, Money Team, geared up for a night under the lights. After winning on Friday night, Money Team went on to lose two games on Saturday and was unable to progress to the semi-finals. However, the players were able to learn about the game and about each other.

We did not know what to expect from the competition. We got down early in the game, but ended up coming back and winning. That’s probably the most fun I’ve seen my team have playing flag football. It’s definitely something I will remember. We experienced things we had never seen before. Formations we had never thought of and plays we had never considered. It was eye-opening to say the least. We had a great time. The camaraderie at the tournament was second to none.

– Chris Toliver, a senior biology major

Georgia State’s finest flag football officials put their skills to the test at the tournament as well. Juston Williams was selected to officiate the men’s semi-finals.

I feel stronger as an official. Making it to the men’s semi-finals meant that I was one of the top officials in the state, and that’s a great thing to know. Honestly, the hardest part was doing my best to represent Georgia State. I wanted the other schools to understand and know that the education and training I’ve been receiving here is top-notch. I feel like Georgia State is one of the top schools in the nation and wanted my actions to reflect that.

– Juston Williams, senior psychology major

This experience has provided a greater spark in me to pursue officiating beyond intramural sports. The most memorable thing about this tournament was getting the opportunity to be evaluated on my skills as an official.

– Demetrius Woods, senior broadcast journalism major and student official

For the two graduate assistants who served on the Officials Committee, the tournament offered valuable lessons in their field.

I chose this role for my development. To get a better understanding of the clinician side of a tournament.

– Giovanna Beato Gonzalez, first year graduate assistant for Recreational Services

I was able to take away new managing and training tactics that will help me continue to develop the officials within our programs at Georgia State.

– Brandon Corley, second year graduate assistant for Recreational Services

The event provided an excellent opportunity for Recreational Services to fulfill the Division of Student Affairs’ mission of delivering student experiences that promote learning and success. The players had a rewarding experience that they will treasure. The undergraduate and graduate staff were actively involved in a state tournament that has honed their skill set to prepare them for a career as a Recreation professional.

Twitter

• GSURecreation

Training will begin at 6 p.m. and end at 8 p.m.

Retweet Reply Favorite 1
  • GSURecreation

Thursday, February 22, there will be a Trip Leader Training focusing on Outdoor Survival Skills. TLT is open to any… https://t.co/mUMiREO1bK

Retweet Reply Favorite 1
  • GSURecreation

RT @GeorgiaStateU: Neonatal nurse Hanan Waite (B.S. ’08) is an inaugural member of @GaStateAlumni's “40 under 40” class with a passion for…

Retweet Reply Favorite 1
  • GSURecreation

RT @GSU_Perimeter: Congratulations to #engineering student Yoseph Herwis on being chosen as a @NASA Community College Aerospace Scholar! Ch…

Retweet Reply Favorite 1
  • GSURecreation

RT @AYSCareers: The Career Fair is less than a week away - Check out our useful tips! #AYSCS #GSU #AYSPS @GeorgiaStateU @PantherCareer http…

Retweet Reply Favorite 1
  • GSURecreation

RT @gsu_archives: Annie Mcpheeters was the head librarian of the Auburn Branch Library, the first African-American librarian at @GeorgiaSta

Retweet Reply Favorite 1
  • GSURecreation

RT @GeorgiaStateU: .@GSUArtSci announces arrival of inaugural Provost's Visiting Scholar! Learn more about Dr. Maryemma Graham of @KUnews:…

Retweet Reply Favorite 1
  • GSURecreation

Touch The Earth's Rock Site Management trip will be taking place this weekend from Friday, February 17 - Saturday,… https://t.co/fJISPVpoLS

Retweet Reply Favorite 1