The Department of Recreational Services promotes healthy life-styles through exceptional recreational programs, services, and facilities.
The Department of Recreational Services will be the leader in recreational programs among urban universities serving a diverse student body.
The Department of Recreational Services was formed in 1973 with the task of developing recreational programs and overseeing the operations of the newly built Physical Education Building – what is now called the Sports Arena. The building shared offices and program space with the Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance academic department and the Athletic Department. Outdoor intramural sports were hosted at Piedmont Park until the State of Georgia offered property at Panthersville in the late 1970’s. Frank B. Jernigan served as the department’s first Director of Recreational Services.
The Indian Creek Recreation Area was purchased by the university in 1938. Recreational Services took responsibility for the swimming pool in 1974 and for the rest of the 15.5 acres, including the tennis courts and Indian Creek Lodge in 1991. The Challenge Program ropes course was added in 1985.
In the spring of 1994, former University President Carl V. Patton appointed a task force to investigate the feasibility of building a dedicated recreation center at Georgia State University. The faculty, students, and staff members of the task force spent the spring and summer soliciting information from other universities about the impact, magnitude, costs, and contents of such centers. The group focused on urban university comparisons. They collected floor plans, photos, statistics and fee information. The combination of their hard work and dedication played a significant role in planning this facility and establishing its policies. Student employees serve in a variety of capacities. A full-time professional staff supervises the Student Recreation Center’s daily activities and administers a variety of non-credit instructional programs.