Indian Creek Recreation Area
900 South Indian Creek Drive
Stone Mountain, GA 30083
The Indian Creek Recreation Area was purchased by the university in 1938. Recreational Services took responsibility for the swimming pool in 1974 and for the rest of the 15.5 acres, including the tennis courts and Indian Creek Lodge in 1991. The Challenge Program ropes course was added in 1985.
Located in DeKalb County, the property offers the Georgia State community a large swimming pool and snack bar (summer semester use only), lodge, picnic grounds, sand volleyball court and Challenge Program ropes course.
Special features of the Indian Creek Recreation Area:
- The lodge is well suited for approved Georgia State University group meetings and retreats.
- Picnic facilities, a sand volleyball court and a children’s play area are available on a first come, first served basis throughout the year.
- The swimming pool operates during the summer. (Memorial Day through Labor Day)
- The Challenge Program ropes course is used by groups to build teamwork, trust and communication.
- Indian Trail Tree – American Indian historians believe that Native Americans would mark their trails, sources of water, or areas of danger by modifying the growth of young saplings. The property boasts a great example of this technique over 200 years later.
The Lodge serves as a premier venue for meetings, conferences, retreats and social events. As the first LEED-certified building at Georgia State University, the 4,700 square foot Lodge houses a large multipurpose room, two breakout meeting rooms, an open lobby reception area with a fireplace, a catering kitchen and front and rear decks with outside eating. It is a palette of earthy textures and colors, ranging from reclaimed barn wood, stone, granite and tile incorporated into the open lobby. The facility offers Wi-Fi and has full audio-visual presentation capabilities. The Lodge can accommodate groups from 10 to over 100 participants.
Sustainable features of the lodge include:
- High-efficiency water fixtures, reducing water use by 35 percent;
- Preservation of more than 77 percent of the LEED project boundary for open space;
- Purchased renewable energy certificates that offset 100 percent of the building’s electricity use for two years.
Other highlights include environmentally friendly paints and coatings, preferred parking for low-emitting and fuel-efficient vehicles and bicycle racks.
Developed by the U.S Green Building Council, LEED certification comprises several categories for high performance facilities, including sustainable sites, water efficiency, energy and atmosphere, materials and resources, and indoor environmental quality. A project can receive multiple levels of certification depending on the number of points achieved.
Hours Eligible Users $3.00 per visit: Non Recreation member Georgia State University Faculty or Staff Guests of current student, member or Georgia State University faculty or staff: Rules Family Season Pass* Private Swimming Lessons at Indian Creek Pool Costs: 3 sessions/6 sessions
Located on the site of the original tennis courts, the event lawn offers roughly two-thirds an acre of green space that overlooks the pool to the south and the Lodge to the north. Coupled with the pool and sand volleyball court, the event lawn provides an ideal location for a wide array of outdoor activities.
There are two pools on the property. The main pool offers depths from two feet to six feet while the children’s pool has a maximum depth of three feet. The pools are open from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Hours for the summer will be updated in the spring semester of 2016.
Currently enrolled students and current recreation members may use the facility for free.
(Students not currently enrolled in summer semester may be eligible for the Continuing Student Membership)
$3.00 per visit: Non Recreation member Georgia State University degree holding graduates
$3.00 per person. There is a limit of three guests.
$50: Currently enrolled students
$60: Recreation members
* Mother, father, sibling or spouse, dependent children of Georgia State University ID Card holder
Lessons are available to all abilities and ages. Lessons are 30 minutes in length. Lessons will be scheduled around instructor availability during regular pool hours. You can only register at the Indian Creek Pool. Please bring your PantherCard to register. Cash and check only are accepted.
$30/$55: Georgia State University students & their children
$40/$75: Faculty/Staff & Alumni & their children
Reservations are accepted from currently enrolled students, recreation members, chartered student organizations and departments of Georgia State University. To reserve this space, go to our Reservations page.
$3.00 per visit: Non Recreation member Georgia State University Faculty or Staff
Guests of current student, member or Georgia State University faculty or staff:
Family Season Pass*
Private Swimming Lessons at Indian Creek Pool
Costs: 3 sessions/6 sessions