On the job training, CPR, First Aid, and meetings are required for all employees. A variety of training, certification and leadership opportunities are available.
Graduate Assistant Needed!
Job Title: Graduate Assistant – Technology
Supervisor: Facility Operations Coordinator
To apply: Email resume and information to Sabra Blackwell
Review of resumes will begin June 22. Ideally, the candidate will be able to work on an hourly basis during the summer semester to begin training. Start date is negotiable. The graduate assistant position would officially start August 24.
Job Description (more details and information)
The Graduate Assistant for Technology, under the direction of the Facility Operations Coordinator will assist in the management of departmental technology (hardware and software), including specific area programs relating to equipment checkout, locker rental, instructional clinic registrations, fitness center services, climbing wall participant data, and cash registers.
- Provide basic PC support for the department
- Troubleshoot and maintenance of other systems (video surveillance, key watcher, samba server, portable audio systems)
- Administration of several in-house applications
- Maintenance of printers and faxes
- Coordination with the University’s IS&T personnel and technology-related policies.
- Deliver excellent customer service
- Support the philosophy of the department of Recreational Services
- Acceptance into the Masters Program at Georgia State University, pursing a degree in Computer Information Systems, Computer Science, or equivalent. Must be accepted by GSU to receive a position offer.
- Basic MS Windows administrative skills (Linux skills are a plus)
- Strong work ethic
- Great communication skills
- Passion/Patience for learning and teaching applications and techniques
- Flexibility within schedule to accommodate early mornings/evening/weekend work and as required
- Experience with enterprise-level IT systems is recommended
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a professional team that collaborates effectively with colleagues.
Ability to thrive in an environment that values high expectations, accountability, and balanced lifestyles
There are many exciting opportunities for graduate students to be involved with Georgia State University’s department of Recreational Services for the 2015-2016 academic year. We are seeking graduate students who desire to gain work related experiences in one or more of the following areas: Fitness Center (Fitness Testing/Personal Training), Instructional Programs/Group Fitness, Intramural Sports, Marketing, Outdoor Recreation, and Sport Clubs. Note ~ Fitness Testing/Personal Training candidates must be pursuing a graduate degree in Exercise Science.
Outdoor Recreation: Supervise daily operation of the rental center and climbing wall (task assignments, equipment transactions, paperwork and monetary transactions. Supervision and training of student assistant staff, inventory maintenance, ordering of equipment, facilitating payroll, coordination of special projects, publicity and assistance with policy revision. Assist with the management of the Outdoor Trip Program encompassing 100-150 trips per year including assistance with scheduling and coordination with trip leaders and vehicles, equipment loading and unloading, reconciliation of trip paperwork and accounting, inventory maintenance, ordering of equipment, coordination of special projects, publicity and assistance with policy revision. Coordinate special events with other student and staff members. To apply, email resume and information to Carson Tortorige.
Additional Salary Information: Stipend – Up to $4,500 per Fall and Spring semester plus $2,362 for summer, with in-state/out-of-state tuition waiver. The appointment is on a semester-to-semester basis dependent upon job performance and availability of funding. Fees – Assume responsibility for all student fees (currently $1,064 for Fall 2014). Georgia State University, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an equal opportunity educational institution and is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Prerequisite experience/knowledge qualifications are particular to each position and program area. All applicants must apply to the appropriate college to be considered. No offer can be made unless the student has been officially admitted to a graduate program of the university. Applicants should familiarize themselves with the application deadlines relevant to their program. Visit the College of Education for additional information.
Health/Medical Insurance – Students must provide documentation of health/medical insurance or purchase the health insurance through Georgia State University.