Welcome to the Nutrition Blog for Georgia State University’s Recreational Services. Recreational Services strives to promote healthy lifestyles through exceptional recreational programs, services and facilities. This blog is kept up to date by the graduate nutrition students. Anyone who has questions or would like to talk should feel free to stop by the Student Recreation Center, Room 150 (inside the Fitness Center). Enjoy the blog!
Put Your Best Fork Forward
Long-lasting dietary changes start with small changes! March is National Nutrition Month, so “Put Your Best Fork Forward” is a reminder that you hold the power to make healthier nutrition choices. No need to try a fad diet, just make small changes gradually. Celebrate National Nutrition Month by putting your best fork forward. Here are a few ideas of some small changes to help you get started!
- Chew your Calories! Replace at least one soda each day with one glass of water this month!
- Having a burger or pizza for lunch? Yum! Add a small salad on the side.
- Replace those chips! Try a handful of nuts and one small piece of fruit for a snack.
- Make the vegetable portions on your dinner plate twice the size of your meat portion.
- Try a new fruit or veggie each week during March 2017.
- Eat at least 4 servings of vegetables on at least 5 days of every week in March 2017.
- Observe Meatless Monday on every Monday in March 2017.
- Go lean with the protein! Choose leaner cuts of meat when you are shopping or eating out.
- Choose whole grain or whole wheat whenever possible.
- Aim to eat at least three meals per day. Start your morning with a healthy breakfast!
- Pack some healthy snacks in advance. Try raw veggies with low-fat cottage cheese, or a tablespoon of peanut butter with an apple or banana.
- Manage your weight or lower your health risks by consulting the Recreational Services Nutritionist. Contact: 404-413-1779 http://recreation.gsu.edu/fitness/fitness-center/nutrition-consultations/
Start creating sustainable health changes this March by making a few small alterations to your eating habits. Keep it simple by taking it one forkful at a time!
Visit the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Website to find more information on National Nutrition Month! http://www.eatright.org/resources/national-nutrition-month
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, NNN 2017