5 Tips for Healthy Eating & Drinking on Spring Break
Spring Break provides relief from the academic grind and allows us time to enjoy travel, friends, and family, or just enjoy sleeping in every day. Make this year’s spring break memorable by keeping yourself and your friends healthy utilizing these 5 simple and easy tips.
- Don’t Get Dehydrated - Be careful when drinking on the beach during spring break! Alcohol is a diuretic which means it causes your body to remove fluids much quicker than other liquids. Combine this with the fact that you’re sweating from the heat and you have a perfect storm for dehydration! If you are experiencing extreme thirst, headache, dry mouth, muscle cramps, dark yellow urine, or dizziness, it may just be dehydration. Shoot for eight glasses of water per day – that’s 64 ounces!
- Drink Responsibly - Who doesn’t like to have a little fun? Chances are if you’re having a drink on Spring Break, it’s not the first time you’ve had a drink. The recommendation is 1 drink per day for women and 2 drinks per day for men. One drink is 12 ounces of beer, 5 ounces of wine, or 1.5 ounces of hard liquor or distilled spirits. If you notice yourself getting light-headed, overly talkative or out of it, quit drinking while you are aware. And don’t forget to not drink on an empty stomach. When you have something in your stomach, alcohol is absorbed more slowly. Following these simple tips will not only help you survive Spring Break but enjoy it as well.
- Snack on the Go - When you’re having fun, time can fly by and who wants to stop all the fun! Keep a few snacks like nuts or granola bars close by when hunger strikes. Better yet, try nature’s fast food, fiber-rich fresh fruits, and veggies. Not only will it help keep you fuller longer, but it will help you give you some great vitamins and minerals to power you through your day.
- Stay Active - Commit to staying active. The best part about spring break is you have your friends around. Whether you are staying in a hotel or hitting the beach, bring along a buddy for accountability and a little more fun. If you are staying in a hotel, check-out the hotel gym. No gym? No problem. Hit the sand or outdoors. Try some sand volleyball, jogging or walking on the beach, or dancing! Make sure this Spring Break is an active one!
- Keep it all in Balance - Eat, drink & be happy! Spring break is an easy time to throw out all the rules but try to keep it in balance. Add a fruit or vegetable to every meal and mindfully eat on your break. Mindful eating involves paying attention to the experience of eating and drinking. Pay attention to colors, smells, textures, flavors, temperatures, and even sounds (crunch!) of your food. Eat when you’re hungry and stop when you’re full. Whether you are spending your spring break at home or traveling to your favorite locale, we hope you enjoy a happy, healthy and fun Spring Break!