As we re-open our recreation facilities, our department is committed to providing a safe environment. The following guidelines are being put in place to help ensure your safety and the safety of our staff. We are asking our patrons for their mutual commitment to help us keep our Georgia State University community safe while using our facilities.
The health and safety of our students, members, and staff are our top priorities. We will follow CDC guidelines and Georgia Public Health safe practices for COVID-19. If you are not feeling well or are experiencing any of the symptoms related to COVID-19, please stay home. Please visit the CDC website (www.cdc.gov) for the full list of symptoms.
Visit Georgia State Ahead for the University's plan for reopening the entire campus.
We have outlined our new policies, safety guidelines, cleaning information, and other important facts so you'll know what to expect when you visit us and what we'll be doing to protect everyone.
Information is subject to change.
What to Bring
- Your PantherCard to enter and exit. Biometric finger scanning will not be available.
- Water bottle or bottled sports drink in a plastic spill-proof container with a lid. The water bottle filling stations will be available, however, the water fountains will not.
- Any equipment you would want to use when you visit.
- Your mask or face covering; you will always be required to wear it.
What to Expect When You Arrive
Covid-19 Screening Questions, Temperature Checks and Masks/Face Covering
Everyone who wishes to access our programs, facilities, and services will be required to complete a brief COVID-19 Screening Question Sheet and have their temperature taken.
Access will NOT be granted to anyone who:
- Is experiencing any of the following symptoms: fever or chills, cough, headache, fatigue, sore throat, muscle/body aches, congestion/runny nose, diarrhea, nausea or vomiting, new loss of smell/taste, trouble breathing. These symptoms are subject to change due to CDC guidelines.
- Has a temperature of 100.4°F or higher.
- Refuses to wear a mask/face covering while inside of the Student Recreation Center.
- Masks/Face covering use will be in addition to and is not a substitute for social distancing.
- Anyone experiencing a fever of 100.4°F or higher, or any of the symptoms listed above, will be encouraged to contact the Student Health Clinic or their primary health care provider.
- If wearing a mask/face covering is not possible, you are welcome to take advantage of our online programming options.
New Safety Policies
- Masks or face coverings must always be worn.
- Elevator capacity is 4 people per elevator. Mask or face covering required in elevators.
- Please follow social distancing 6 feet protocols.
- Capacity for spaces will be posted outside of each room and area.
- Equipment lending will not be available. Limited laundry items such as towels and t-shirts will be available for checkout.
- You are encouraged to bring your own equipment for personal use.
- No contact or team sport activity will be permitted.
Cleaning Provided by Recreational Services
- Additional hand sanitizer stations (stands and touchless) are available
- Increased frequency of cleaning throughout operating hours and high touch areas
- Gym wipes will be available in all areas for patron use.
- Sneeze guard panels will be located at all customer service areas
Panther Code of Conduct
- Wear a mask/face covering at all times.
- Do not visit our recreation facilities if you are sick or experiencing any of the symptoms of COVID-19.
- Make an appointment if you need to speak with a staff member. Meetings will be conducted online as often as possible.
- Practice proper personal hygiene. Wash your paws, Panthers!
- Practice CDC guidelines on social distancing: cdc.gov
- Closely follow all building wayfinding, room capacity, and queuing signage.
- Clean all equipment you come in to contact with both before and after use with the provided cleaning solutions.
- Only use one piece of equipment at a time.
- Bring in your own personal exercise equipment: yoga mats, exercise bands, foam rollers, towels, etc.
- Please let a staff member know if you witness anyone not following these guidelines or if you feel unsafe at any time.
- Provide your feedback on your experience in our facilities through our website or suggestion boxes whenever possible.
For a full explanation of the University's plan for cleaning and sanitation, visit https://ahead.gsu.edu/facilities-and-sanitation/.
- CDC guidelines will be followed for all high touch points and surfaces.
- Additional hand sanitizer stations (stands and touchless) are available.
- Increased frequency of cleaning throughout operating hours and high touch areas.
- Gym wipes will be available in all areas for patron use.
- Sneeze guard panels will be located at all customer service areas.
- All equipment utilized in a program and/or class will be sanitized after each use.
Products used at Atlanta Campus
Disinfectant and Victory electrostatic sprayer
In 1839, pioneering scientist Michael Faraday discovered the groundbreaking technological phenomena of electrolysis. Today, GenEon uses this technology to allow users to produce an electrically charged mixture of water and proprietary minerals known as Electrolyzed Water on demand. This engineered water technology producing hypochlorous acid (HOCL), provides a broad range of cleaning, sanitizing, and disinfecting uses which improve the health, safety, and productivity of our staff and Patrons. These uses include cleaning, degreasing, sanitizing, and disinfecting our many non-porous surfaces, including plumbing fixtures, floors, and mats.
Our solution, HOCL, is generated at a pH range of 6.5 – 7. Other products are either very high pH (basic) or very low pH (acidic). Because the product is very close to neutral pH, benign and water-based, the germ lets it in freely. After it’s inside, the FAC (Free Available Chlorine) destroys the bacteria, virus or spore – preventing resistance.
Testing run at nationally recognized labs in accordance with AOAC protocol and GLP procedures confirm that GenEon solution kills 99.999% of common germs in less than 60 seconds. This includes Listeria, MRSA, Staph, VRE, Pseudomonas, Norovirus, H1N1, Salmonella, and E. coli O157:H7 bacteria. Currently, the US Environmental Protection Agency has recommended numerous disinfectants against COVID-19, including hypochlorous acid (HOCl), which meets the agency’s criteria for effectiveness against SARS-CoV-2. This mechanism of disinfection involves the destroying of the cell wall of microbes or viruses, allowing the disinfectant to destroy or inactivate them.
Our Victory Cordless Electrostatic Sprayer allows us hours of spraying time without the hassle of dragging a cord. In addition, it is designed to save time and labor, spray less liquid, and cover more surfaces. Victory Sprayers’ patented technology provides an electrical charge to our GenEon solutions, allowing them to wrap conductive surfaces with an effective and even coverage. Double-charged particles envelope all conductive surfaces – shadowed, vertical, and underneath.
Lemon All is a phosphate-free, neutral pH disinfectant cleaner designed for hospitals, schools, food processing plants, and light industrial applications where housekeeping is of prime importance in controlling the hazard of cross-contamination. When used as directed Lemon All is formulated to disinfect inanimate hard surfaces (such as walls, floors, sink tops, toilet bowls, tables, chairs, and telephones). In addition, Lemon All deodorizes those areas which generally are hard to keep smelling fresh, such as garbage storage areas, empty garbage cans and bins, restrooms and other areas which are prone to odors caused by microorganisms. Lemon All’s quaternary ammonium compounds are EPA registered and meet the agency’s criteria for effectiveness against SARS-CoV-2.
Non-Acid bowl and bathroom cleaner
This one-step disinfectant cleaner is effective against a broad spectrum of bacteria. It is viricidal and it will prevent the growth of mold and mildew and their odors. Use of this product will clean, disinfect and deodorize surfaces in toilet areas, underneath sinks, counters, garbage cans and other places bacterial growth can cause malodors.
KaiBlooey Restroom Cleaner
KaiBlooey is a high-performance locker room and restroom cleaner that contains a blend of fast-acting mild acids to de-scale mineral deposits and remove soap scum.
KaiBosh is a concentrated no-rinse hospital use disinfectant cleaner for COVID-19 (Coronavirus), Norovirus, Bird & Swine Flu, and more, that disinfects and cleans in one labor-saving step. KaiBosh is perfect for use with our wet vacuum systems.
Lysol Crisp Linen Disinfectant Spray
Lysol Crisp Linen disinfectant spray is on EPA’s List N and meets the agency’s criteria for effectiveness against SARS-CoV-2.
GymWipes Antibacterial wipes is the #1 selling wipe in the fitness industry and is highly recommended by major equipment manufacturers. Use GymWipes Antibacterial wipes to clean, deodorize, and kill bacteria, viruses, and fungi on all surfaces and equipment – including noroviruses similar to SARS and coronavirus.
Purell Pro Surface Cleaner
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) is caused by SARS-CoV-2. PURELL® Surface Sanitizer and Disinfectant Sprays kill similar viruses and therefore can be used against SARS-CoV-2 when used in accordance with the directions for use against Hepatitis A Virus on hard, non-porous surfaces.
Purell Body Fluid Spill Kit
A complete solution designed to support your organization’s workplace safety and risk management programs. The core of each kit is the industry-leading Purell Surface Sanitizer with its rapid kill times, multi-surface performance, and formulation for food contact surfaces. Each kit contains a comprehensive set of components that together work to protect your employees and guests and to reduce the risk of bloodborne or foodborne illness outbreaks. Join the growing list of customers that are using PURELL Body Fluid Spill Kits.
- Safely remove vomit, blood, feces and other body fluids
- Effective against Staph, Hepatitis A, MRSA, Norovirus, SARS-CoV, E. coli, Salmonella, and more
- Safe for food contact surfaces (no rinse required)
- Proven effective across most hard and soft surfaces
- Bilingual instructions with step-by-step images
- OSHA and Food Safety Compliant
- Three-year shelf life
Purell Professional HEALTHY SOAP Fresh Scent Foam
1200 mL Refill for Purell ES8 Touch-Free Soap Dispensers
Spa-inspired, mild foam hand soap with a pleasant fragrance.
- Helps wash away dirt and germs
- Contains natural moisturizers. Nourishes the skin while cleaning.
- ECOLOGO® Certified to Standard Name UL 2784
- USDA Certified Biobased Product
- Supports your skin’s natural ability to protect itself against dirt and germs
- Dye-free with a light pleasant fragrance
- Enriched with skin conditioners
- Free of phthalates, parabens, and triclosan
- “Energy-on-the-refill” technology - every refill has a built-in energy source, designed to last as long as the refill
Reservations for spaces in the SRC will not be available until October 1. Reservation requests will be limited due to CDC guidelines for social distancing and capacity levels for the eligible spaces.
Capacity for each area in parenthesis
- Exercise Room (65)
- Free Weight Area (65)
- Racquetball court (2)
- Only singles play allowed. Bring your own equipment. Reservations only (link coming soon)
- Main Gym (10 per court)
- No contact or team sports.
- Basketball goals and volleyball nets will not be available.
- Track (10)
- Aquatic Center (60)
- Lap pool (32) - Swimming will be limited to 2 people per lane; 4 people per lane for stationary recreational activities as long as social distancing is maintained.
- Leisure pool (10)
- Spa (2)
- Patio/Outdoor Lawn (25)
- Bathroom and Locker Rooms
- Climbing Wall (6)
- Reservations only (link coming soon)
- Vending machines and Water bottle filling stations
- Bouldering Cave
- Game Room
- Omni Gym
- Student Recreation Center
- Available beginning October 1
- Indian Creek Recreation Area
- Available beginning August 17
- Not available for Fall semester